One of my daughter’s friends celebrated her 5th birthday this summer with a fun outside party. The birthday girl chose all of the cutters and colors she wanted me to use for her cookies, so it’s a bit of a random set – sunglasses, flip flops, ice cream cones, palm trees and butterflies!
A friend of mine recently had her third child, who was her first boy. He was almost ELEVEN pounds, and the birth was a VBAC – she really deserved a medal, but I made her some cookies instead. I love how some of the cookies turned out – I got some of my inspiration by looking at birth announcements. I really hate that I didn’t take the time to photograph them well.
While trying to come up with ideas for the cookies, I also came across an old girl baby set that I don’t think I ever posted about.
Poor neglected blog. I’ve slowed way down on my cookie-ing since my daughter’s dye issues surfaced. I do have a few cute sets to post about sometime in the near future.
But I can’t help bragging a tiny bit. Last year I posted about the preppy birthday party cookies I made for baby Torren’s first birthday. His mama Robin threw an amazing party with so many awesome details, and the party is now featured on Amy Atlas’ blog.
There are several pictures of MY cookies on Amy Atlas’ blog. How cool is that?! Check it out!
Not surprisingly, several of my daughter’s friends have birthdays right next to each other. The weekend after the Toy Story party, we had a Cars party. I really, really don’t like to do character cookies, but again, these were for good friends, so I made an exception. For Lightning McQueen I just did a red racecar, but for Mater, I used a three tier cake cutter and cut of the top layer to give the vague impression of the front of a truck. My Mater looks more like a distant cousin of the Disney Mater, but luckily four year olds are not very discriminating when it comes to cookies.
I donated a cookie gift certificate to a local school here for their silent auction, and was so excited when I got the call for it to be redeemed. The client needed a high school graduation cookie bouquet in a hurry, but luckily she was open to whatever design I could manage to pull off over the weekend in between all the craziness that has been going on in our lives lately. The school’s mascot was a lion and their colors were red and white.
Luckily I was able to find a mortar board cookie cutter locally, but I had no such luck with a diploma cutter. So, I ended up bending my Wilton present cutter (the one I struggled with so much for the beach cookies) into a rough diploma shape. Since the request was for a bouquet, I had to do cookies on a stick, and the diploma shape I made just kept every time I tried to move them the least bit. Since I was a bit short on time, I decided to just do stars and mortar boards for the bouquet, then add some diplomas for a platter.
As usual, my photos aren’t the best. My camera has been dropped one too many times, and I was in too much of a hurry to stage the cookies.
As usual, I there are definitely things I would do differently the next time. I let my red sit overnight to develop the color, but it was too orangey the next morning. Since I needed to get started quickly I added maroon to the red and ended up going a little overboard. The icing matched the school colors perfectly when wet, but dried a bit dark. It also tasted bitter because I ran out of my no taste red. I also felt like I couldn’t quite get the lion right. I want to experiment with this a bit, because I think it could be a really neat use of marbling and/or brush embroidery technique. Lastly, I think I probably should have baked the cookies a bit longer. They were a bit soft, and tasted not quite as good as usual, probably because I rolled them out much thicker than I do for cookies not on a stick.