During the September birthday season I made a quick set of LEGO cookies for one of my good friends’ sons. It seems that the cookies that seem the simplest to make always cause me the most trouble. I ended up hand-cutting the rectangles and squares, and the cookies really didn’t hold their shape – an ongoing problem for me, particularly with sugar cookies. I realized after I delivered them that I left out an entire stick of butter from the recipe! I imagine the newly turned six year old didn’t notice. I hope…
I made this set for my dear friend Amy’s son Andrew, who just turned six. His favorite color is yellow, and he really likes cheetahs. I told Amy I would *try* a cheetah, and you can kind of tell that this was a first effort. My biggest problem with the cheetah was that I used a bear cutter for the full bodied guy – once I started decorating I realized that the shape was totally wrong, so I tried to compensate and that didn’t work out so well. I ended up with a disproportionate animal. Hopefully Andrew won’t mind.
Also, I think I have a block against yellow. It is my second least favorite color, and I couldn’t get inspired about it. I really wish I had been able to make a spectacular set for Andrew, but it just didn’t happen. I think the whole set would have looked better if I’d outlined everything in black first. Maybe next year!
A friend of a friend asked me to do this set for her son who was turning five. I am pretty sure I kind of butchered poor Sensei Wu. For the ninjas I used a circle cutter and the bottom half of an acorn cutter. I worried they might be weak at the seam, but I didn’t have any problem piecing those two pieces together. Sensei Wu is a Christmas tree and a square cutter pieced together and kind of hand shaped. The birthday boy’s name is spelled out using throwing stars, AKA mini snowflake cutters. I wish I had taken the time to thin my gray icing a little before I did the stars.
Based on my previous experience doing a Ninjago set, I worried a bit about the eyes. I wanted them to look uniform and also to be faithful to what the Lego guys look like, so I made black eye transfers on wax paper and let them dry overnight. Then I made a yellow mask transfer on wax paper and dropped the black eyes in while the yellow was still wet. After letting the eyes and mask dry overnight on the wax paper, I was able to just drop the yellow piece with eyes onto the wet Ninjago faces. Although it took time and planning in advance, the final assembly was super easy, and I didn’t have to worry about messing up a whole cookie by not getting the eyes right. The mask wrinkle lines were added using edible marker.
I made these for my friend Melissa’s son Wyatt. The poor baby boy has so many food allergies that he couldn’t actually taste a cookie, but the other kids (and grownup kids) enjoyed them. My daughter’s friends Jack and Daniel ran down the stairs to the play room with their cookies to tell me thanks for the cookies. I also made some mostly dye-free pigs as favors so that even my daughter could enjoy a sweet treat (just the eyes have dye).
One of the things I like most about this set is that I didn’t use animal cutters – instead I used just circles and an Easter egg, and I hand cut the barn. I wasn’t completely satisfied with the horse and cows, but I think you can at least still tell what they’re supposed to be.
Baby Torren is two! His mom threw a construction themed party without traditional construction colors. I was a bit crunched for time with this set. If I had to do it over again, I would have kept it much more simple with just the trucks on a white background instead of the scenes.
I relied heavily on this tutorial. As Callye states in the tutorial, chevron cookies are kind of addictive to make (while also being a bit of a pain in the rear).
PS – This post was much better written the first time around – every time I try to write a post in the quick post area I lose it. I still don’t know my way around WordPress too well.
Summer is birthday season, and this year I had some more requests for characters. Even though I say I won’t do characters, these were all for friends and I have a hard time saying no. I made an aging Yoda set for my former boss, and a Ninjago cookie inspired by a gingerbread ninja cookie on Pinterest. My friend made fortunes for the packaging and they turned out really nicely.
I also made two different set of Hello Kitty cookies which were coincidentally both for girls named Kate. I finally figured out the secret to Hello Kitty’s eyes and nose – I wasn’t at all satisfied with the first set of kitties, and for the second set I realized I could make royal icing transfer eyes and just drop them on. You can really tell the difference.
A friend of a friend contacted me months in advance to see if I could do cookies for her son’s first birthday party. She had seen the camping cookies I did and wanted to make sure I could make some cookies for her son’s party, even though she didn’t yet have a theme when she contacted me. She ended up throwing a fabulous “pop your collar” preppy party.
I handcut some of the cookies so that I could do a few popped collar polos. The alligator was a custom cutter ordered to match the party invitation. I loved working with such a fun theme, but these cookies did give me a few problems. I had a hard time getting the nice, deep navy and green colors that I wanted without oversaturating the icing. I finally ended up mixing the colors with my KitchenAid, and I think overmixing introduced too much air and caused some drying issues.
Another challenge was matching the party invitation pattern. I ended up making my own stencil, tracing the pattern in edible marker and covering it with icing. Unfortunately I had a lot going on when I made this set, so didn’t get the photos to do them justice. Trust me – they really were cute!