I donated a cookie gift certificate to a local school here for their silent auction, and was so excited when I got the call for it to be redeemed. The client needed a high school graduation cookie bouquet in a hurry, but luckily she was open to whatever design I could manage to pull off over the weekend in between all the craziness that has been going on in our lives lately. The school’s mascot was a lion and their colors were red and white.
Luckily I was able to find a mortar board cookie cutter locally, but I had no such luck with a diploma cutter. So, I ended up bending my Wilton present cutter (the one I struggled with so much for the beach cookies) into a rough diploma shape. Since the request was for a bouquet, I had to do cookies on a stick, and the diploma shape I made just kept every time I tried to move them the least bit. Since I was a bit short on time, I decided to just do stars and mortar boards for the bouquet, then add some diplomas for a platter.
As usual, my photos aren’t the best. My camera has been dropped one too many times, and I was in too much of a hurry to stage the cookies.
As usual, I there are definitely things I would do differently the next time. I let my red sit overnight to develop the color, but it was too orangey the next morning. Since I needed to get started quickly I added maroon to the red and ended up going a little overboard. The icing matched the school colors perfectly when wet, but dried a bit dark. It also tasted bitter because I ran out of my no taste red. I also felt like I couldn’t quite get the lion right. I want to experiment with this a bit, because I think it could be a really neat use of marbling and/or brush embroidery technique. Lastly, I think I probably should have baked the cookies a bit longer. They were a bit soft, and tasted not quite as good as usual, probably because I rolled them out much thicker than I do for cookies not on a stick.